The 85th Foot (later the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry) was raised in the county between October 1793 and February 1794 by the 1st Marquis of Buckingham. In all, 520 men were raised, but the regiment was then despatched to Ireland almost immediately, despite assurances by the military authorities that it would not be sent abroad. Recruiting parties were sent back to Buckingham in 1798, and a depot established there when the regiment returned to England from the West Indies in July 1808, before the regiment again departed the county in September 1808. The Marquis of Buckingham had written in August 1806 that there was no real link remaining with either the 16th Foot, not seen since 1782, or the 85th, which could no longer find recruits after the broken promises of 1794. Thus the 85th, though remaining the ‘Bucks Volunteers’ until 1827, had little connection with Bucks after 1808.