4th (TERRITORIAL) BATTALION, THE OXFORDSHIRE & BUCKINGHAMSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY
4th Battalion In 1875 the several rifle corps that had been formed in Oxfordshire excluding that raised by the University, were merged as the 2nd Oxfordshire Rifle Corps. Headquarters was located at Oxford and the establishment authorised six companies. The 2nd became the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, Oxfordshire Light Infantry in 1887 and in 1900 provided a number of its members for service with regular troops in South Africa.
In March 1915, the 1/4th Battalion landed with the 48th (South Midland) Division in France. It fought on the Western Front until November 1917, when it moved to Italy. The 2/4th joined the 61st Division, which went to France in May 1916 and the following year took part in the Battle of Cambrai. On the 28 April, 1917, CSM Edward Brooks won the Victoria Cross for his part in an action at Fayes, near St Quentin. Another member of the battalion, L/Cpl. Alfred Wilcox, also gained the VC the following year.
In 1940 the battalion went to France as part of the BEF and, after suffering heavy casualties at St Omer-La Bassee, returned to England where it remained for the rest of the war.
The battalion was amalgamated in 1947 with its war-time duplicate unit, the 5th Bn and in 1959 assumed the title - Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. The regular battalion had, by this time, become the 1st Green Jackets.
With the transfer to the T&AVR in 1967, the regiment formed part of the Oxfordshire Territorials and the 4th (Volunteer) Battalion, Royal Green Jackets.