8TH (SERVICE) BATTALION (PIONEERS). 1914-1919 Extracted from : A short history of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, 1741-1922 for the young soldiers of the Regiment By R.B. Crosse. Doiran, 1917,1918.
The Battalion was raised in October 1914, at Oxford, and after training at home proceeded to France on September 27th, 1915, but in November was transferred to Salonika. As Pioneer Battalion of the 26th Division it spent much time in the construction of roads, light railways and trenches, but on some occasions was required to hold the front line, and was present, in support, at the Battles of Doiran on April 24th/25th, and on May 8th/9th, 1917.
The Battalion took part in the great offensive of September 1918, which brought the war to an end as far as Bulgaria was concerned, but not before the Battalion had crossed the frontier into Bulgaria. After the Armistice the Battalion moved to Mustapha Pasha, on the borders of Turkey, and later to Roustchouk on the River Danube, and again to Varna on the Black Sea, where it remained till April, 1919. Thence it went to Constantinople, and subsequently to Asia Minor, where it was eventually disbanded in October 1919.