Based on extracts from- A short history of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, 1741-1922 for the young soldiers of the Regiment. By R.B. Crosse
In March, 1865, the 52nd arrived at Portsmouth from India, and almost a year later moved to Aldershot. The 52nd was moved suddenly to Dublin, owing to Fenian riots, in December 1866.
In September, 1868, the 52nd left Ireland for Malta, whence the Regiment moved in 1873 to Gibraltar, and returned the next year to England (Portsmouth). On the arrival of the Regiment, the Depot of the 85th (Bucks Volunteers) or King's Light Infantry was attached to the 52nd. In 1876 Cowley Barracks were opened, when they were occupied by the Depots of the 52nd and 85th (as the 42nd Brigade Depot), the Regiments being then quartered, the 85th in India and Africa, and the 52nd at Plymouth, Aldershot (1878), and Chatham (1881).