2nd BATTALION, THE OXFORDSHIRE & BUCKINGHAMSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY
1908-1914 Based on extracts from- A short history of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, 1741-1922 for the young soldiers of the Regiment. By R.B. Crosse
1908, was another eventful year. In April changes were made in the 1881 organization, whereby the two battalions of Militia were replaced by a new 3rd, now to be called " Special Reserve" Battalion, and the Territorial Force replaced the Volunteers. This, involving as it did the disbandment of the old 3rd Battalion, or Royal Bucks, King's Own, Militia, brought about the last change in the territorial title, and the Regiment became the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.
Though 1810 was the year in which the Light Division was officially formed as such, it was in 1808 that the British regiments which composed it—the 43rd, 52nd, and 95th (later the Rifle Brigade)—were first on active service together in Sir John Moore's Army in Spain, so that on June 30th, 1908, the centenary was celebrated by a dinner in London of officers of the Chestnut Troop Royal Horse Artillery, 43rd, 52nd, and the Rifle Brigade.
In October the 52nd returned once more to Shorncliffe, the scene of its training under Sir John Moore.
In 1911, the 52nd joined, at Aldershot, the 5th Infantry Brigade of the 2nd Division, in which it was to serve until 1919.