6TH (SERVICE) BATTALION. 1914-1918 Extracted from : A short history of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, 1741-1922 for the young soldiers of the Regiment By R.B. Crosse. Mount Sorrel. Somme, 1916. Guillemont. Flers-Courcelette. Morval. Transloy. Ypres, 1917. Langemarck, 1917. Menin Road. Cambrai, 1917.
The Battalion was raised in September 1914, at Camberley, receiving 500 men from the 5th Battalion. In a few days the strength was 1,100, with some officers and non-commissioned officers of the Regiment.
The Battalion formed part of the 60th Infantry Brigade, 20th (Light) Division, in which it remained till disbanded. Training was carried out at various places in the Aldershot area until April, 1915, and then on Salisbury Plain, until on July 22nd the Battalion proceeded to France.
Training in trench warfare was carried out near Laventie, where on September 25th the Battalion took part in an operation subsidiary to the Battle of Loos. In January 1916, it moved to the Ypres Salient, being in the line next to the Canadian Division during the German attack in June. In July the Battalion moved to the Fleurbaix area, to assist in an operation by an Australian Division, going thence to the Somme, where it took a leading part in the successful attack on Guillemont village in September, and in the operations of the next two months.
In 1917 the Battalion distinguished itself near Ypres in August and September, and then took part in the successful Battle of Cambrai on November 20th, and in the subsequent counter-attacks.
In February 1918, the Battalion was disbanded, on the reduction of infantry brigades from four to three battalions, its headquarters, band, and one company being transferred to the 52nd.