Based on extracts from - A short history of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, 1741-1922 for the young soldiers of the Regiment. By R.B. Crosse
The 43rd reached Portsmouth from New Zealand in July, 1866.
The 43rd came to Aldershot in June, 1867.
The 43rd continued to serve at home, in the Channel Islands (1868) and in Ireland (1869), until embarking in September, 1872, for India.
From India the 43rd moved in 1879 to Burmah, and was at Thayetmyo and Toungoo in 1881.
On July 1st, 1881, the connections between the 52nd and 85th, and between the 43rd and the 53rd, who had been for a few years past " linked battalions," were severed, the 43rd ceased to be associated with the county of Monmouth, and the 43rd and 52nd, who had never forgotten their old comradeship in the Light Division, were united as the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Oxfordshire Light Infantry; the Depot of the 85th being relieved at Oxford by the Depot of the 43rd shortly afterwards.
Returning to India in 1882, the 43rd served at Bangalore, Quetta, and Poona until in January, 1882 the Regiment embarked for home, and was quartered at Shorncliffe and other places in the south of England until 1893. Then followed another tour in Ireland, at Kinsale, Dublin, and the Curragh, where the 43rd was stationed throughout 1897.