INFANTRY SECTION LEADING
1938, HMSO Laid down the equipment, arms and ammunition carried during the early stages of the second world war.
11. The platoon.—Each platoon consists of:-- Platoon H.Q. and 3 sections.
Platoon headquarters: Commander. Serjeant. One orderly. Batman (in platoons commanded by an officer). 2-in. mortar personnel (2 men).
12. The section.—Each section consists of:-- N.C.O. section commander and 7 privates,
13. Section equipment.—All carry 50 rounds S.A.A, in pouches. All carry rifles with the exception of the man carrying the L.M.G.
Magazines will be carried as ordered by the section commander.
The above is the normal allotment of equipment which may be varied according to circumstances, but everyone in the section must be trained to fire the light machine gun and anti-tank rifle.
No spare barrel will be carried with the gun during movement. In defence, if the light machine gun is required to fire on fixed lines the tripod mounting must be used. One man will be responsible for erecting the tripod. In defence he will carry a spare barrel and will assist the firer to keep the gun in action.
14. Personal equipment.—Each man has a haversack and pack. i. The haversack will be worn on the back and should normally contain:— Water bottle. Mess tin. Emergency ration. Knife, fork and spoon. Cardigan (when not worn). Waterproof sheet or cape anti-gas under the flap of the haversack.
ii. The pack will usually be carried on the platoon truck and will contain:-- 1 pr. socks. Cap comforter. Soft cap. Holdall. Soap. Towel. 1 pr. laces. Greatcoat. Housewife.
15. Motor transport.—Each platoon has its own 15-cwt. four-wheeled truck, and is therefore a self-contained, tactical unit, complete with weapons, ammunition and tools.
37 PATTERN WEBBING - MARCHING ORDER
37 PATTERN WEBBING - BATTLE ORDER C1944
37 PATTERN WEBBING - BATTLE ORDER CONTENTS C1944
INFANTRY TRAINING 1944 PART VIII FIELDCRAFT, BATTLE DRILL, SECTION & PLATOON TACTICS H.M.S.O. 1944 further laid down equipment, arms and ammunition to be carried. By this stage the Sten Gun was carried by Section Commanders instead of the Rifle:-
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.